Bloodstone is also know as Helioptrope or blood jasper.
Hi and welcome to Wicca Now. As you may already know, Wicca Now is a site where Amaria and I write about all things Witchcraft, Wicca and Magick. Lately, we’ve been covering a lot of crystal related topics, like this post on crystal witchcraft, this guide to crystal correspondences or this article on jasper. Today I thought we’d focus on another beautiful crystal, namely bloodstone.
Bloodstone is readily available and found throughout Australia, Brazil, China, the Czech Republic, Russia and India. The use of bloodstone dates to the prehistoric people of Scotland who used the stone to shape arrowheads, blades and scrapers. The Ancient Greeks believed that bloodstone could turn red from the suns rays, hence naming it heliotrope which comes from the Greek helios and tropos meaning ‘sun turner’. The stone was used throughout Ancient Greece and Rome to fashion a wide variety of decorative objects from jewellery to seal stones. Throughout the Middle Ages bloodstone was understood as a powerful healing stone and it was believed to give the wearer the gift of prophecy. The stone itself is multicoloured green or bluish-green with flecks of red. It can range from translucent to opaque and has a waxy lustre.
Bloodstone Magickal Benefits and Meaning
Bloodstone is believed to possess powerful healing properties. It is a stone of guidance, intuition and divination.
- Attracts luck, money and success
- Bolsters strength
- Reduces aggression
- Boosts the power of spells
- Boosts the power of other crystals
- Boosts confidence
- A deeply spiritual stone
- Aids healing
- Enhances faith
- Excellent for grounding
- Keeps out undesirable influences
- Helps us to avoid dangerous situations
- Stimulates dreaming
- Powerfully revitalising
- Assists in connecting with the present moment
- Revitalises and rejuvenates the body
- Stimulates the mind
- Dispels confusion
It is associated with the element of fire and the goddesses Morrigan and Badb
Its astrological influence comes from Mars. Bloodstones zodiac correspondences are Aries, Capricorn, Libra, Pisces and Scorpio.
Magickal Tips for Bloodstone
- To aid sleep, place a piece of bloodstone into a bowl of water and keep this beside your bed. In the morning empty bowl and hold the stone underneath running water until you feel it has been cleansed of negative energy. At night, refill the bowl with fresh water and place the stone in it again. Repeat as required.
- To banish something from your life take a piece of cleansed bloodstone, a string and a white candle. Write what it is you would like to banish onto the paper and fold it in half as many times as possible. Now use the string to tie the piece of paper together and attach this to the bloodstone. Light the candle and holding the bloodstone and paper in your hands visualise that which you would like to banish fading away. Leave the paper tied to the bloodstone overnight and in the morning, cut the string and safely burn the paper. Hold the stone in your hands and visualise your desired outcome.
- Wear a piece of bloodstone jewellery continuously for good health
- Place a piece of bloodstone into a pouch along with a spring of rosemary and a drop of lemon oil. Carry this with you as a powerful protection amulet.
- If you are feeling distracted and unable to focus hold a piece of bloodstone in each hand and allow the grounding and calming energy of the stone to dispel your distractions, filling you with a sense of clarity and focus.
- Work with bloodstone to create powerful crystal grids. These can be placed around your home to protect, inspire and heal.
Keen to discover some more crystals and their meanings and benefits? Check out my posts on the following crystals:
- Black onyx
- Tiger’s Eye
Lovelies, I hope this post has inspired you to give carnelian a try. As always, Blessed Be!
Don’t forget to follow us on instagram for witchy tips and inspo.