“Moonstone – The stone of lunar magick”
Hi and welcome to Wicca Now. As you may already know, Wicca Now is a site where Amaria and I write about all things Witchcraft, Wicca and Magick. Lately, we’ve been covering a lot of crystal related topics, like this post on crystal witchcraft, this guide to crystal correspondences or this article on celestine. Today I thought we’d focus on another beautiful crystal, namely moonstone.
It’s Etymology and General Characteristics
Moonstone is a variety of feldspar and has a gem-like quality. The base colour of moonstone can be colourless, brown, orange, green, blue, pink, white or yellow. It can range from transparent to more of a murky translucence and has a weal orange or blue fluorescence.
Capturing the magic of the night sky, moonstone symbolises spiritual purity and was regarded as a sacred stone in ancient India. Moonstone is also the stone of eroticism and love and is thought to activate carnal passions.
The Greeks and Romans associated moonstone with the lunar deities and according to Roman legend, the colour of the stone would wax and wane along with the phases of the moon.
Throughout the Middle Ages, moonstone was popular as a love charm.
Moonstone is thought to be a ‘feminine’ stone and will help both men and women to get in touch with their feminine side.
Moonstone is associated with the element of water
This lunar stone is associated with the signs of cancer, Capricorn, Libra, Gemini, Scorpio and Pisces. Its influences come from the moon. Moonstone is associated with the goddesses Isis, Luna, Rhiannon, Diana and Selene.
Benefits and Healing Properties
Moonstone is a stone of fertility and is used throughout Arabia, Yemen, North Africa and Sicily by women who want to have a baby. The stone is often sewn into the hem of a garment and worn by the women who desire to become pregnant. The stone is also thought to have aphrodisiac effects.
- Enhances fertility
- Aids love and passion
- Works as an aphrodisiac
- Enhances beneficial dreams
- Aids concentration
- Instrumental when working with lunar magick
- Strengthens psychic skills
- Aids clairvoyance
- Supports divination
- Supports dreamwork
- Perfect as a love charm
- Calms energy
- Useful for those seeking wisdom
Spells Featuring Moonstone
A Ritual To Boost Psychic Skills
This is a wonderful ritual to do before proceeding with divination or psychic work.
You will need:
- A piece of moonstone
- Step 1 – On the night of a full moon place your cleansed moonstone to bathe in the moon’s light. After an hour or so, wrap your stone in a piece of cloth until you are ready to use it
- Step 2 – Before any psychic work or divination practice unwrap the moonstone and place it on your third eye.
- Step 3 – Sit quietly with your eyes closed and notice the energy of the stone as it begins to subtly shift your energy. When you feel the energy begin to vibrate, hold the moonstone on the top of your head to open the crown chakra.
- Step 4 – Wrap the stone back into its protective cloth and begin your divination or psychic practice.
Keen to discover some more crystals and their meanings and benefits?
Check our posts on:
Lovelies, I hope this post has inspired you to give moonstone crystals a try. As always, Blessed
We’ve designed a complete guide to crystal witchcraft. The guide includes 12 hand-illustrated pages you can download and print at home. Perfect for adding to your Book of Shadows.
Shop the pages here