“Amber – bringer of sunshine and light”
Hi and welcome to Wicca Now. As you may already know, Wicca Now is a site where Amaria and I write about all things Witchcraft, Wicca and Magick. Lately, we’ve been covering a lot of crystal related topics, like this post on crystal witchcraft, this guide to crystal correspondences or this article on moldavite. Today I thought we’d focus on another beautiful “crystal”, namely amber.
Amber is not actually a crystal but rather the fossilized resin of ancient pine trees. Amber has fascinated humans since antiquity and stores of amber have been found in caves dating back to the stone age. Amber was often used throughout the ancient world and was regarded as the ‘gold of the north’. The Etruscans made ornaments and jewellery out of amber and wore these as talismans. The ancient Greeks believed that amber was formed from the tears of the daughters of the sun god Helios, who cried after the death of their brother Phaethon. Amber has a pleasing scent when burned and was favoured as an incense through ancient Asia. In medieval Europe, amber was believed to protect against sorcery and necklaces made from beads of amber were often placed on babies in order to offer them protection from harm.
Amber ranges in colour from pale yellow through to brown and reddish-brown. It can be translucent to opaque and has a vitreous lustre. Amber can actually become electrically charged (like tourmaline or topaz) and is therefore prone to attracting dust.
Meaning and Benefits
Due to its age, amber is thought to be beneficial for all those seeking to connect with their ancestors and also as a way to tap into ancient wisdom.
- Brings clarity
- Illuminates things that were obscured
- Helps to manifest change
- Boosts the energy of spells
- Promotes success
- Provides protection
- Has a calming energy
- Fosters stability
- Fosters honesty
- Fosters in healing
- Soothes grief and despair
Associated with the elements earth and fire.
Ambers astrological influence comes from the sun and Mercury. Its zodiac correspondences are Cancer, Leo, Aquarius and Sagittarius. Amber is associated with the deities Danu, Freya, Helios, Apollo and Njord.
Magickal Amber Tips
- The soothing golden colours and transformative frequency of amber foster a healing and calming energy. Place a piece of amber next to your pillow or hold a piece in each hand as you meditate to and allow its golden energy to soothe and comfort you.
- Amber aids those seeking a deeper connection to the natural world and the spirits that inhabit it. For those wanting to connect with nature on a deeper level, try walking with a piece of amber in your hand. Allow the frequency of the amber to guide you as you experience nature.
- To help dissolve old patterns which are no longer serving you, meditate with a piece of amber in each hand. Picture the warm golden light of the amber severing ties with that which is no longer wanted. Allow it to bath you in a soothing glow of regenerative energy. Feel its frequency as it shines a light on all of your negative belief structures and helps to loosen these structures thereby allowing you to move forward unburdened.
Keen to discover some more crystals and their meanings and benefits?
Check our posts on:
- Rose quartz
- Smoky quartz
- Black onyx
Lovelies, I hope this post has inspired you to give moldavite a try. As always, Blessed
Don’t forget to follow us on instagram for witchy tips and inspo.