“Black onyx balances the energies within”
Hi and welcome to Wicca Now. As you may already know, Wicca Now is a site where Amaria and I write about all things Witchcraft, Wicca and Magick. Lately, we’ve been covering a lot of crystal related topics, like this post on crystal witchcraft, this guide to crystal correspondences or this article on crystals for protection. Today I thought we’d focus on a specific crystal, namely black onyx.
Table of Contents
Black Onyx – It’s Meaning and Properties
Black onyx is a variety of chalcedony and a cousin of agate. Onyx beads have been found in Egyptian graves dating back to 3100 BCE and the stone continued to be popular for a wide range of decorative objects throughout the Egyptian dynasties. The ancient Greeks and Romans were also fond of onyx and carved the stone into vases, cups, bowls and jewellery. The Romans in particular favoured cameo rings carved from onyx as they believed that when there was discord amongst people the stone would change colour.
Onyx itself can actually range in colour from black to reddish-brown and occasionally the stone has beautiful white bands laced throughout. Its surface can range from opaque to translucent and it often has a waxy lustre.
Tip: Black onyx can be created artificially using dye so be a careful shopper
Meaning and Correspondences
Black onyx, sometimes called the ‘crystal of protection’ has a strong defensive energy and guards against negativity.
The benefits of black onyx include:
- Wards off negativity of all kinds
- Protection against black magick and hexes
- Brings strength to the person or spell at hand
- Good for working through past-life issues that may be affecting the situation at hand
- Clears the mind
- Brings clarity
- Good for summoning guidance
- Helps you to avoid being swept up in pettiness
- Reduces the effects of bad influences
- Strengthens the bonds between people, especially in a marriage or partnership
- Helps to ward off nightmares
- Aids dreamwork
- Fosters personal growth
- Builds confidence
- Helps us to confront our fears
- Strengthens will power
- Helps with discipline and finding purpose in life
- Wearing jewellery made from black onyx is thought to provide a shield of protection for its wearer.
Onyx is associated with the element fire
Its astrological influence comes from Mercury, Mars, Saturn, the fixed star Ala Corvi, and the zodiac constellations of Leo, Aquarius, Capricorn.
Spells Featuring Black Onyx
A Calming Meditation Featuring Black Onyx
This meditation requires a piece of real black onyx. A smooth piece of onyx is preferred but any real onyx crystal will do. You can also work with a piece of onyx jewellery if you don’t have a raw crystal at hand. This meditation is a wonderful way to calm and centre your energy before spellwork or anytime you generally need to find calm and balance.
- Step 1 – Sit as you normally would for a meditation, holding the onyx in your hand. Close your eyes and visualise a powerful stream of universal energy flowing from the stone and all around you. Visualise the blending of the two energies of night and dark, yin and yang as you feel their perfect balance surrounding you with calming vibes.
- Step 2 – You might like to chant the following mantra as you meditate. You can do this silently in your mind our out-loud. Whatever feels best to you.
‘Balance energies within. Dark and light — Let the opposites unite“
- Step. 3 – Once you have finished with your meditation be sure to thank the onyx for helping you to achieve a more balanced state and store it in a safe place ready for its next use.
Keen to discover some more crystals and their meanings and benefits?
Check our posts on:
Lovelies, I hope this post has inspired you to give black onyx a try. Its a wonderful crystal and an essential part of any crystal witches toolkit. As always, Blessed Be.
Don’t forget to follow us on instagram for awesome witchy content and daily magickal tips.