“Agate encourages me to be grounded and strong “
Hi and welcome to Wicca Now. As you may already know, Wicca Now is a site where Amaria and I write about all things Witchcraft, Wicca and Magick. Lately, we’ve been covering a lot of crystal related topics, like this post on crystal witchcraft, this guide to crystal correspondences or this article on beryl ‘the crystal of communication’. Today I thought we’d focus on another beautiful crystal, namely agate.
Before you keep reading all about agate, have you checked out our secret grimoire yet? These magickal pages contain an eclectic array of spells, rituals, tips and tricks. Each page is hand illustrated and filled with love. This edition comes in a digital format, meaning you have access to it directly after purchase and you don’t have to wait for pesky shipping delays. Check it out now or keep scrolling to learn about agate!Secret Grimoire
Table of Contents
Agate – It’s Meaning and Benefits
Agate is a banded, semiprecious gemstone. A form of microcrystalline quartz, agate colours include black, blue, brown, grey, green, orange, pink, purple, red, white, and yellow. Most agates have multiple colours that are structured into wavy bands, flowing patterns, or concentric designs.
Agate has a long history of use. The Sumerians and Mesopotamians used agate to make beads and ceremonial axe heads. Ancient Egyptians fashioned agate into amulets and the Minoans of Crete and Mycenaeans of mainland Greece used these stones for jewellery, as did the Romans, who were especially fond of agate for signet rings. Throughout the middle ages, the crystal was highly valued as a good luck charm.
Meaning and Correspondences
Agate radiates power and has a deeply calming and grounding energy. It also helps to strengthen our connection with the natural world and offers an all-purpose frequency of protection.
- Boosts confidence
- Calms tempers
- Settles painful emotions
- Helps to cleanse the aura
- Improves concentrations
- Helps on to find the truth of a matter
- Promotes self-confidence and acceptance
- Effective for psychic protection
- Has a deeply grounding energy
- Boosts energy
- Helps us to release what is no longer needed
- Aids with personal growth
- Helps to maintain a state of inner strength
- Attracts good luck
Most types of agate are associated with the element earth.
In general, agates astrological influence comes from the moon, the fixed star Procyon. Its zodiac correspondences come from Cancer, Capricorn, Libra, and Virgo. Agate is also associated with the god Asclepius.
Spells Featuring Agate
An All-purpose Self Healing Ritual
This is an excellent ritual for beginners or those who haven’t worked with crystal healing before. This ritual is also an awesome way of linking crystals with your own self-healing.
You will need:
- One crystal of your choice
- An undisturbed room or space
- Step 1 – Choose a crystal for the ritual. You can intuitively select a crystal by passing your hand over your collection and seeing which crystal you feel drawn to or you can choose a crystal that correspondences to your issue or question from a list of crystal correspondences.
- Step 2 – Hold the cleansed and charged crystal in your open cupped hands. Name whatever it is you want to lose, for example, a fear, pain, symptoms of a chronic condition or a migraine. As you hold the stone, imagine it getting heavier and heavier as it becomes filled with the pain, fear or condition you wish to lose.
- Step 3 – When the stone begins to feel too heavy to hold, wash it under running water and visualise your negative feelings or pain being rinsed away. If the stone is too delicate to wash with water, pass an incense stick over it and imagine the smoke dispersing your negative emotions or pain.
- Step 4 – Keep the crystal in a place where a light will shine on it. Repeat the ritual as many times as needed. You may need to repeat many times if the condition is ongoing. Stay patient and always use the same crystal.
Keen to discover some more crystals and their meanings and benefits?
Check our posts on:
Lovelies, I hope this post has inspired you to give agate crystals a try.
As always, Blessed Be,
If you enjoyed this post about agate and you want to learn more about using crystals in magick then check out this essential crystals guide we’ve created!