“His character is like beryl—multifaceted and enhanced by inclusions.”
Hi and welcome to Wicca Now. As you may already know, Wicca Now is a site where Amaria and I write about all things Witchcraft, Wicca and Magick. Lately, we’ve been covering a lot of crystal related topics, like this post on crystal witchcraft, this guide to crystal correspondences or this article on aventurine ‘the crystal of venus‘. Today I thought we’d focus on a specific crystal, or more specifically a group of crystals, namely beryl.
Beryl – It’s Meaning and Benefits
Beryl is actually a group of minerals, the most famous of which include emerald and aquamarine. Beryl crystals such as emerald and aquamarine are generally called ‘precious beryls’ whilst more cloudy opaque beryls are called ‘common beryls’.
Beryls were super popular in ancient Egypt and beryl quarries dating back to as early as 1650BCE have been discovered along the Red Sea.
Beryl was also a popular choice for beads and crystal balls during the middle ages as it’s large, often perfect crystals can grow up to three feet long.
Beryl can range in color from blue through to pink, green and yellow. The stones themselves can be almost transparent to opaque and generally have a shiny lustre.
Meaning and Correspondences
Beryl is thought to be a crystal of support and encouragement and is a popular crystal for travellers. It is believed to:
- Stimulates communication
- Aids in living up to one’s potential
- Supports relationships, especially marriage
- Clears the way for self-acceptance
- Aids with reconciliation
- Fosters a sense of optimism
- Promotes a sense of well-being
- Can be used to banish anything unwanted
- Can help you to meet challenges
- Supports magickal work
- Aids concentration
- Boosts energy levels
- Assists healing and spiritual growth
Most beryl crystals are associated with the element of water
Astrological influence comes from Mars, the moon, the fixed star Sirius and Neptune. Zodiac correspondences include Cancer, Capricorn, Libra and Scorpio. Bery is generally associated with the deities Neptune, Tiamat and Poseidon.
Spells Featuring Beryl
An Amulet For Safe Travels
Planning a trip? Why not carry a beryl amulet with you to keep you safe on your travels. This spell requires no ingredients other than a small piece of beryl and a stick of incense and a small pouch. The best time to work this spell is shortly before you are due to leave on your trip as this will ensure that its magick is at its most potent.
- A piece of beryl crystal
- A stick of incense
- A small pouch
- Step 1 – Take a cleansed piece of beryl into your hands and allow it to warm up. Now place it in front of you and light the stick of incense. Use the incense to write in the air above the crystal any specific needs or goals related to your planned trip. For example, you might like to work with an affirmation such as ‘I am safe and protected at all times’. Say the words as you write them, either out loud or in your mind. This imprints the words into the ether, the energetic dimension in which wishes are transformed into reality.
- Step 2 – Place the crystal into the pouch and carry it with you when you travel and when touching it, say the affirmation again in your mind. This will release its powers into your life.
- Step 3 – When you have arrived at your destination safely, thank the crystal for its help and guidance and place it on a window sill or ledge to recharge with moonlight. When you crystals have been cleansed and charged, always be sure to store them in a safe quiet space, ready for their next use.
Keen to discover some more crystals and their meanings and benefits?
Check our posts on:
Lovelies, I hope this post has inspired you to give black smoky quartz a try. Its a wonderful crystal and an essential part of any crystal witches toolkit. As always, Blessed Be.