Hi and welcome to Wicca Now. As you may already know, Wicca Now is a site where Amaria and I write about all things Witchcraft, Wicca and Magick. Lately, we’ve been covering a lot of crystal related topics, like this post on crystal witchcraft, this guide to crystal correspondences or this article on Angelite. Today I thought we’d focus on another beautiful crystal, namely turquoise.
Turquoise gets its name from the Old French turque, meaning ‘Turkish’ in reference to the trade route that passed through Turkey. In Greek, the name for turquoise translates as ‘beautiful stone’ and indeed, turquoise is one of the oldest known gemstones. The stone has been mined since approximately 8000 BCE and was valued in ancient China, Mesopotamia, Greece, Egypt and Tibet where it was used to create a range of both sacred and secular objects. Turquoise was also valued by the Navajo and Aztec people who used it to fashion many different religious and everyday items.
The stone itself is often mottled with brown or black veins and ranges in colour from blue-green to sky blue. It has a waxy or dull lustre and a weak fluorescence of light blue to greenish-yellow.
Meaning and Benefits
Turquoise is a deeply spiritual stone used to aid those seeking truth, guidance and wisdom.
- Instrumental for dreamwork
- Fine-tunes intuition
- Brings clarity to communication
- Sparks creative expression
- Use it to manifest ideas into reality
- Opens the heart for compassion
- Fosters a sense of happiness
- Wards off all negativity
- Aids fertility
Turquoise is associated with the elements earth and water
The astrological influence comes from Jupiter, Neptune, Venus and the moon. The zodiac correspondences are Virgo, Taurus, Scorpio, Sagittarius, Pisces and Manannan and Chalchihuitlicue.
- Because turquoise has a calming and stabilizing energy, try wearing a turquoise bracelet on days when you are feeling anxious or stressed.
- For a quietened mind and a greater sense of calm, wear a ring made of turquoise on one of your index fingers.
- For serenity and peace of mind on a new-moon day or night, draw a square in your backyard or planter and mark each corner with a candle and a piece of turquoise. Repeat this chant as you light each candle: “Serenity and peace of mind, under this new moon I ask to find”.
Keen to discover some more crystals and their meanings and benefits?
Check our posts on:
Lovelies, I hope this post has inspired you to give turquoise crystals a try. As always, Blessed
Don’t forget to follow us on instagram for witchy tips and inspo.