Hi, my loves and welcome to WiccaNow. Recently I’ve been sharing guides to all of my favourite magickal herbs and plants, like this post about the magickal properties of jasmine, another post about sage, one on bay leaves and a botanical witchipedia for a broad overview of magickal plants. Today I want to continue down this path by sharing my guide to the magickal properties of lemongrass with you.
Lemongrass has been used as a healing herb in folklore for hundreds of years. This tropical plant is used prolifically in many Asian cuisines. Its medicinal benefits include reducing fevers, aiding with digestive issues and providing antibacterial and antimicrobial properties among many other uses. Its magickal properties include aiding communication and openness as well as providing protection and helping with luck in love affairs.
Disclaimer: Any medicinal benefits given here are a product of my own research and as such should not be taken over the advice of trained medical professionals. If you are ill, please go and see a doctor. Always make sure that anything you consume is 100% safe. If you are pregnant, consult your doctor or midwife before consuming something you haven’t tried before.
Table of Contents
History of Lemongrass
Lemongrass, also known as Cymbopogon, belongs to the Poaceae family of grasses. There are around 55 other species of grasses in the family. The most commonly used form of lemongrass is “Cymbopogon Citratus” which is known as West Indian Lemongrass. It’s a tropical plant which is native to Island Southeast Asia but has been introduced to many other tropical regions including South and Central America.
Historically, lemongrass was often used for its oils. During the 17th century, it was distilled and shipped around the world as part of the perfume industry. At the time, there was very little access to personal hygiene facilities, which meant that anyone who considered themselves of a higher class would anoint themselves with scented oils in an attempt to cover up their own smell. Lemongrass was one of the most popular scents though few could afford it due to its high price.
Lemongrass has been a traditional healing herb in its native regions for a long time, the fact that it’s so helpful in reducing fevers has given it the name “fever grass” in some cultures. It’s one of the most popular medicinal plants in Brazil, with many in the Amazon regarding it as a wonderful sedative when taken in tea form.
Today, India is the worlds largest producer of lemongrass, harvesting and distributing around 80% of the world’s supply.
Fun Facts about Lemongrass
- Other names for lemongrass include barbed wire grass, cochin grass, Malabar grass, oily heads, and silky heads.
- Lemongrass is a natural insect repellent.
- Citronella oil is produced from a species of lemongrass.
- Some people think that the lemongrass essential oil market exploded after the 1951 world fair. There was a display of Citronella oil there which brought lemongrass to the global market.
- Lemongrass can grow up to 1.5m high.
- The most common form of lemongrass used to produce essential oils is called “Cymbopogon Flexuosus.
- In India lemongrass is believed to repel snakes.
Medicinal Uses of Lemongrass
One of the most common ways to use lemongrass as a medicinal treatment is to drink it as a tea. It can also be taken in powdered form and some people will chew on the raw stems in order to improve their oral health.
If you’re interested in a more in-depth but not overly specific review of the medicinal benefits of lemongrass, check out this scientific study all about it.
- Can be used to treat digestive issues
- Might help to relieve menstrual pain
- Can reduce joint pain
- May reduce inflammation
- Reduces fevers
- May help with arthritis
- May help to reduce anxiety
- May reduce dandruff
- May help with exhaustion
- May help to reduce cholesterol
- May improve oral health
- Might be able to block pain
- Helps to prevent water retention
- Natural deodorant
Magickal Properties of Lemongrass
Lemongrass is a great magickal plant which you can use to promote openness to new ideas or people. It’s great for providing some magickal help if you struggle with communication. Lemongrass is thought to attract faeries.
- Love affairs
- Expelling negative energy
- Psychic work
What does lemongrass symbolise?
Lemongrass symbolises a willingness to be open and to foster open lines of communication. It is often used for spiritual and emotional as well as physical cleansings. It can be used to clear blockages in your path and will help to transform negative energy into positive energy.
What does lemongrass incense do?
Lemongrass incense can be used to cleanse your space as well as enhancing your mental clarity, focus and awareness. It helps you to be open towards others and their ideas. Lemongrass is a wonderful incense to burn if you are attempting psychic work as it will help to open you up to communication from the other side.
Deities: Hermes, Diana, Artemis
Zodiac: Gemini and Virgo
A Spell to Remove Blockages Using Lemongrass
This simple spell uses the magickal properties of lemongrass in order to remove blockages that might be preventing you from reaching your full potential.
This spell uses candle magick, if you haven’t worked with this type of magick before before, check out my candle magick 101 before you start. Always make sure you practise fire safety and never leave a candle unattended.
- A small yellow or white candle
- A fire-proof bowl or plate
- Lemongrass oil
- Dried cinnamon
- Dried lemongrass – this is optional, I like to use both but you could stick to just dried lemongrass or just oil depending on your preference
- Matches or a lighter
- Gather all your ingredients together and find a nice quiet spot to sit down.
- Close your eyes and take 5 deep breaths to centre and calm yourself then open your eyes.
- Anoint your candle liberally with the lemongrass oil.
- Roll the oiled candle in the dried cinnamon and lemongrass so that the candle is coated in both herbs.
- Place your candle onto your fireproof surface.
- Light your candle.
- Look at the candle flame as it starts to consume the wax. Inhale deeply and smell the lemongrass oil as it starts to burn.
- Looking deeply into the flame try to release any feelings of stress or anxiety you might have been holding onto throughout the day.
- Set your intention. If you have something specific that you want to unblock, picture this now. If you just want to generally clear the air and remove any blockage you might be unaware of, focus on a clear path in front of you.
- Imagine any obstacles in your way dissolving into nothingness, leaving you with a completely clear path ahead of you. You can imagine this path in any form you like, maybe it’s a river which breaks through a dam. Maybe it’s a ray of sunshine breaking through the clouds. Maybe it’s a running track with the hurdles behind you. Maybe it’s a forest path completely clear of fallen trees and branches. Visualise something that resonates with you and focus on the feeling of freedom and opportunity that a clear path brings.
- Looking into the candle flame say
“Candle flame and lemongrass, please unite to clear my path. So Mote it Be.”
- Let your candle burn down to nothing and then dispose of any remaining wax away from your home.
- Repeat this spell whenever you feel like you’re path or your energy is being blocked by something.
So my loves, I hope that this gives you all the information you were looking for about the magickal properties of lemongrass. May your path be clear, your communication open and your heart filled with love.
Until next time,