“I believe in mystic healing and crystals’ powers—which could make me a witch”― Emma Mildon, The Soul Searcher’s Handbook
Hi cosmic warriors and welcome to Wicca Now. Recently I’ve been talking about crystals, specifically how to cleanse your crystals as well as about amethyst, peridot, rose quartz and sodalite. Today I thought I’d talk a little bit about a related crystal topic and one that’s really fascinating to me, namely healing crystals
Like many of you, I initially approached the topic of crystal healing with rather a healthy dose of scepticism. Whilst other parts of magick and witchcraft such as meditation, visualisation and working with the phases of the moon felt natural to me, the concept of healing through the aid of crystals always felt a bit *woo-woo* and I was disinclined to give the idea too much attention.
Whilst I still remain critical in regards to some of the more extravagant claims made about crystal healing (I would certainly question anyone who claims to have healed cancer with rose quartz) I have opened my mind to the possibility that certain crystals may indeed possess specific qualities which might aid the bodies natural healing process.
If we consider that crystals are essentially condensed light/energy in material form and that when energy goes up frequency increases, it seems plausible to consider that the frequencies emitted by certain crystals may have an effect on the biochemistry of the human body. Combining this increase in energy with a heightened form of mental intent or a meditative state, to my mind, could indeed help the body to activate natural healing processes or eliminate energetic blockages.
I’ve included a free hand-illustrated Book of Shadows download on healing crystals at the bottom of this post. You can print it out by clicking on the link located right at the end of this post.
Please note: all of the information in this post is based on anecdotal evidence and personal experience. It should in no way substitute the advice given by a medical professional and I am in no way advocating that you should grab a bloodstone if you have cut your finger or find an emerald if you are having eye problems! If you have a cut, grab a bandaid and some disinfectant cream and then (!) use bloodstone to speed up the healing process. Crystals are best used alongside conventional medicine so please, go to the doctor first if you are suffering from any health-related issues!
What Is Crystal Healing?
“Crystals and gemstones are pure manifestations in the material form and varied colour frequencies of light, demonstrating to us the reality of clarity, stability, beauty, divine law and spiritual perfection” –Katrina Raphaell – Crystal Healing – The Theraputic Application of Crystals and Stones
Plants, animals, stones, the elements, our bodies, the planet, all contain energy. Crystal healing works with these natural energies as well as the energies contained within the actual crystals themselves to bring about change. It’s important to realise within this context that the crystals themselves are simply tools, through which we connect with and manifest our own innate healing potential. Crystals are instruments of power which can point us towards our own highest potential, but we need to be open and intuitively reaching for this potential in order for the crystals to have any effect.
Historically crystals have been used by many cultures. The Sumerians, for example, believed that crystals contained certain magickal properties and wore specific stones in the form of amulets or pendants to provide protection against thieves or help ease the pain of childbirth. Folklore stories point to the fact that Native American shamans worked with quartz crystals to access higher dimensions and indeed, large quartz crystals were often included in the graves of the dead.
Aristotle wrote about the healing powers of certain stones and the ancient Greeks associated certain crystals with specific qualities, for example, amethyst which was said to ‘prevent drunkenness’ or hematite which ‘cleansed the blood’. The 12th-century healer, poet and musician St Hildegard von Bingen wrote about the healing properties of certain crystals in her manuscript ‘Physika’ wherein she even detailed the benefits of certain crystal-infused waters.
Practising crystal healing can function as a conduit through which we can connect with the power of the divine and realign with our innermost purpose. Crystal healing provides an opportunity to let go of the rational and let in the intuitive at the deepest level. Simply the act of believing that crystals have the power to heal requires us to let go of many of our deeply held rational belief systems and venture into the unknown.
It is precisely through this act of giving up the rational, even if it’s just for a moment, and surrendering to the unknown that we can connect with the higher energetic frequencies emitted by the crystals. This suspension of disbelief and trust in the unknown can serve as a powerful tool through with which we can bring clarity, healing and spiritual evolution into our lives.
I think in general, much like other aspects of witchcraft and magick, crystals on their own are ‘merely’ minerals but when we work with the power of our minds through focus, meditation and clear intent, these ‘minerals’ can become powerful tools with which our spellwork can be boosted.
Crystal Healing Techniques
Crystal Healing Technique #1 Crystal Grids
A crystal grid is simply a method of placing crystals in a certain pattern by which the combined energy of the crystals is increased. Grids are generally created by placing one larger crystal in the centre and arranging smaller stones around it. You can use various forms when making a grid but many people prefer to work with sacred geometries or ancient symbols when creating theirs.
Grids can also be infused with certain intentions or so to speak ‘programmed’ to enhance certain desired energies. Make sure that when you are working with a grid that all of your crystals have been cleansed and charged so that you are starting with a blank canvas. It makes sense to create grides in spaces which you have already designated as sacred, such as your meditation space, your altar or any other place where you regularly practice magickal or meditative activities.
To create your grid I suggest working with crystals that intuitively speak to you. For example, if you feel inclined to reach out for your rose quartz collection than simply follow this impulse and work with the rose quartz to construct your grid.
Other ideas for working with crystals grids:
- Place a small grid near your vegetable garden to assist the growth and health of your plants
- Place a grid around your vision board to help strengthen the energy of your dreams and desires
- Create a grid close to your bed to help achieve a more restful nights sleep
- Place a grid near your workspace, charging the crystals with a strong intent to help to bring focus and concentration to your work.
Once you have completed your grid the next step is to activate it. To do so visualise a beam of golden light streaming down and falling directly onto the central crystal. Visualise this light filling the grid until it is vibrating with universal light. If you wish to set an intention for your grid now is the time to do so.
Next, visualise the energy of love and light flowing from your crown chakra through your heart chakra and out into the grid. Imagine the energy tracing the shape of the grid, connecting each element as it moves through the geometries. Continue doing this until you have activated the entire grid.
Crystal Healing Technique #2 Crystal Essences
Crystal essences are energetically charged waters whereby the vibration and energy of the crystal have been transferred into the water. Crystal essences can be drunk as a healing tonic or splashed onto the skin (please make sure that you only ingest crystal essences when you are sure that the crystals you have been working with are non-toxic and safe for consumption!).
Creating a crystal essence does not have to be a complicated process. Like all magickal work, the most important thing to consider when making a crystal essence is that your intent is clear. Make sure that you yourself are in an energetically good space when making a crystal essence as your own energy will also be transferred into the water.
Your crystal essence should be created in a sacred space using tools and crystals which have been physically and energetically cleansed. It’s possible to work with more than one crystal at a time but for the sake of clarity, I prefer to work with one crystal only.
How to make a crystal essence:
- Choose the crystal with which you will be working
- Choose the jar or bottle which will hold your essence
- Set an intention for your essence
- Place your crystal into your jar or bottle of choice (preferably a glass bottle or jar). Now place the jar or bottle containing your crystal into a bowl of purified water
- You can place this bowl into the centre of a crystal grid to increase the effects
- Otherwise place the bowl containing the water, the jar and the crystal onto the earth and call onto the spirit realm to assist you
- Leave the essence under the moon for three nights. Preferable the night before the full moon, the night of the full moon and the night after the full moon
- The essence is now ready. Fill it into a small bottle and labels these with the date, your intention and the name of the crystal used
- Store the crystal essence in a cool dark place. Keeping a crystal of the same kind used to make the essence next to the bottle will help to maintain the energy of the essence
- To activate the essence tap the bottle onto the palm of your hand 7 times
- Take 7 drops three times a day under the tongue
Crystal Healing Technique #3 Crystals and Chakras
Chakras are considered to be the centres of energy and consciousness within our energy body. Although the bodies energy field is thought to be made up of hundreds of individual chakras, we generally tend to focus on the 7 main chakras.
- The Crown Chakra
- The 3rd Eye Chakra
- The Throat Chakra
- The Heart Chakra
- The Solar Plexus Chakra
- The Sacral Chakra
- The Root Chakra
The idea is that all of the chakras should be working together in harmony creating an energy flow of health and vitality throughout the body. When the chakras are out of balance, energy can become blocked and stagnant and illnesses might develop as a result.
Working with specific crystals as they relate to the 7 chakras is a useful method in terms of releasing blockages and reinstating a vital energy flow.
You can either lay the crystals onto the body, as they relate to the 7 chakras or you can hold a crystal related to a specific chakra or area of concern which you want to address as you meditate. The vibration of the crystal connects to our own vibration and the law of resonance is activated. As you focus on these vibrations suppressed emotions and energetic blockages can be released.
Remember that this work is best performed in a sacred space using cleansed and charged crystals. Make sure you are comfortable and that you are wearing comfortable clothing. I’ve found that lighting a candle and putting on some soft music has helped me to relax and go deeper into the practice.
Remember to always set an intention before you start the work and take a few moments before starting to connect with the crystals and with yourself.
The 7 Chakras And Their Healing Crystal Associations
- The Crown Chakra – Color: white or violet. Crystal: selenite. Related to a union with higher self, I AM presence, connection with the divine, spiritual awareness, sacred knowledge and wisdom.
- The 3rd Eye Chakra – Color: purple. Crystal: amethyst. Related to clarity, awareness, intuition, visualisation, spiritual insights, dreams and visions.
- The Throat Chakra – Color: blue. Crystal: blue lace agate. Related to speaking your truth, communication, alignment with purpose, creativity, expression.
- The Heart Chakra – Color: pink or green. Crystal: rose quartz. Related to unconditional love, self-love, forgiveness, compassion, acceptance, intimacy, nurturing, joy and happiness.
- The Solar Plexus Chakra – Color: yellow or golden. Crystal: Citrine. Related to empowerment, confidence, self-discipline, free will, self-esteem, inner strength, courage.
- The Sacral Chakra – Color: brown to orange. Crystal: Carnelian. Related to addictions, desires, relationships, karmic patterns, sexuality, community and family.
- The Root Chakra – Color: red. Crystal: Hematite. Related to security and stability, ancestors, instinct, money, survival, material needs.
My loves, I hope this post was helpful and that you feel a little more empowered about working with healing crystals. Next up, I’ll be adding some special spells and rituals for crystal magick so keep an eye out for that!
As a special gift for you, I’ve made you another one of my downloadable book of shadows pages to go along with this post. You can download it using the link below, print it out and for your own Book of Shadows. I love how many of you are starting to make your own Book of Shadows and am super happy to support you in the process
As always, with love and gratitude, BLESSED BE!