Hi, my loves and welcome to WiccaNow. I’ve been sharing some of my favourite spells recently, like this sleep spell, a spell for home protection, an anti-anxiety spell and a spell for drawing abundance to you. I wanted to continue down this path today by sharing my top habit breaking spell with you. Bad habits are something we all suffer from right? I certainly have my fair share, the least of which include nervous hair fidgeting when I’m under stress, a slight phone addiction and an epic ability to procrastinate when I’m meant to be working.
If you have something detrimental that you’re trying to give up, let this spell help you along your way with candle magick and several magickal herbs and spices. If you haven’t done any spell-casting before check out our spell-casting 101 and this post on manifesting.
Table of Contents
A Few Words of Advice on Spell work
If you’ve been here before and already know the generals of spell casting, feel free to skip down to the next section. If you’re new and this is your first spell, have a quick read of these tips for spellwork so you have the best possible chance of a successful outcome!
Spellwork is all about setting your intentions and focus on the outcome that you want. The more you doubt the power of the spell, the less likely it is to work. When you are casting your spell, visualise what you want in your mind and hold this strong focus for as long as you can. The longer and stronger your focus, the more chance you have of success.
Try to enter the feeling you would have if the outcome was successful. For example, if you wanted to kick a smoking habit, how would you feel when you quit? Elated because you managed to kick a hard-to-beat bad habit? Happy that you are doing your health a favour? Overjoyed at how much money you’ll save? Whatever your motivation for kicking your bad habit, enter into the mindset of having already kicked it. This is the most powerful state for casting your spell.
If your concentration slips, don’t beat yourself up about it! We’re human and all have a tendency to be easily distracted as far as I’m concerned. Spell work, like anything, takes practice and the more you do it the easier it’ll become to maintain your focus. If your concentration does slip, just try to re-enter the feeling of focus that you had before and keep going. If you find your concentration slipping a lot, maybe think about doing a meditation (there a plenty of great ones on youtube) every evening. This works wonders for your ability to concentrate for longer periods of time and will help you in all your spellwork.
Make sure that you pick a quiet spot to cast your spell. For example, if you live with housemates who all hang out in the lounge together, this might not be the easiest place to cast your spell. I have a cat who loves attention and HATES closed doors. If I am doing spell work (especially with candles), I’ll always make sure that there are at least 2 doors between me and her before I start or the meowing and door scratching will distract me to the point where I can’t concentrate at all! If you have to retreat to the bathroom to complete your spell because that’s the only quiet space you can find, go for it!
When trying to focus on why you want to kick your bad habit, don’t beat yourself up about having formed that habit in the first place. No one is aiming for self-flagellation or a guilt trip. You’ve identified something you think you could be doing better, so all power to you. You’ve taken a wonderful step just acknowledging that you could be making more positive choices so GO YOU!
A friendly word of warning: This spell involves candle magic. Always practice fire safety when working with an open flame. Candles are one of the leading causes of house fires. Keep a fire extinguisher within reach and make sure not to wear billowing clothing. Always light your candles a safe distance away from anything flammable and out of reach of pets and children.
My Bad Habit Breaking Spell
This spell isn’t a fix-all for your bad habit. Please remember that magick works as an aid and not as an effortless cure-all. If you want to break a bad habit, you have to take active steps to kick that habit to the curb. Casting a habit breaking spell once probably isn’t going to be enough if your not making any other efforts to rid yourself of the habit.
For example, if you have a bad habit of not flossing your teeth at night, and want to break that habit, you actually have to go and BUY FLOSS! Without doing that, there is no way the spell will work. The same thing goes for smoking or drinking. If you go out and buy beers, and have them around you all the time, it might be difficult to not drink them. If you keep buying cigarettes it will be hard to not smoke them. To kick a physical habit, you need to take physical steps as well as magickal ones in order to succeed.
This habit breaking spell works wonderfully when performed during a waning moon. You want to lose something, in this case, a habit you don’t think is doing you any favours so it makes sense to let the waning moon lend power to your cause. Learn more about moon phases and magick here.
Ingredients for My Bad Habit Breaking Spell
- Chilli powder or chilli oil
- Ginger powder or ginger oil
- Cinnamon powder or cinnamon oil
- A rosemary smudge stick
- A red candle
- A black candle
- Something to represent the habit you’re trying to break. Note that this object should be burnable. For example, if you are trying to kick a smoking habit, take a cigarette packet or a cigarette. If you want to kick a drinking habit, peel a label off a bottle. If you can’t think of a physical object, write the habit on a piece of paper.
- A fire-proof bowl
- A lighter or matches
- A charcoal disk, I find shisha coals work very well here and are easy enough to find, well in Berlin they are anyway.
*The herbal ingredients here are all common ingredients in banishing oils. If you have a banishing oil you can use that for this habit breaking spell. If you want to make a banishing oil, check out my banishing oil recipe here.
Method for Casting My Bad Habit Breaking Spell
- Gather your dried or powdered herbs into a small bowl and mix them together. If you are using oils go straight to the next step.
- Place your candles on either side of your fire-proof bowl. Make sure that you cast your spell in a safe place, where the candles can burn freely and aren’t a danger to anyone or anything. Place them on saucers or in a bowl to avoid accidental fires.
- Place your charcoal disk into your bowl and sprinkle your herb mixture onto the charcoal. If you are using oils, add a few drops of each oil to the top of your charcoal.
- Light both of your candles, and then the charcoal disk. You should notice the scent of the herbs rising up as they start to burn.
- Take the object that represents your bad habit and really focus all your energy on the habit you are trying to break. While strongly focusing, rip or break the object that represents the habit. If you have written the habit on paper, slowly tear apart the paper and make bad habit confetti out of it. If it’s a label do the same. If you use a cigarette, crumble the cigarette in your hands.
- While destroying the representation of the habit, focus on the habit leaving your body. If you are trying to stop smoking, imagine all the nicotine leaving your body. If you are trying to stop drinking so much, imagine how happy you’ll make your liver by consuming less alcohol. Think about the healing effects that breaking this habit will have on you and focus as strongly as you can on those feelings.
- Place the torn paper or broken representation of your habit on top of the burning charcoal. If it doesn’t want to start burning, help it along with a match or lighter.
- Repeat this chant over your candles and charcoal:
“Candles imbue me with your transformative virtues, help to release me from the power of this bad habit. Red candle grant me your strength and passion, help me to break the bonds of this habit. Black candle provide me with your banishing power, rid me of my bad habit forever and always. Flames transform my weakness to strength, turn my bad habit to positivity. Herbs aid me to banish this habit, remove all traces so I can be free. So Mote it Be.”
- Take your rosemary smudge stick and light it. Smudge the room you are in. By completing this step you are cleansing yourself of the energy that is causing the bad habit and releasing that energy from your body and your home. Smudge over the top of the charcoal and the remnants of the representation of the bad habit.
- Take the burning smudge stick and place it in the fire-proof bowl.
- Allow everything, including the candles to burn down completely. Do not leave any burning object unattended, keep a careful eye on them at all times until they go out.
- Take whatever remnants are left (wax, unburned paper, the ash from the charcoal etc) and bury it away from your house. If there are any non-compostable bits in there, don’t bury them but dispose of them in your rubbish bin. Imagine you are burying or throwing away your bad habit, never to be seen again.
So my loves, I wish you all the best on your bad habit-kicking journey! Some are really hard to kick so feel free to repeat this habit breaking spell if you need a magical boost to help you get there.