Carnelian – The ‘feel better’ crystal.
Hi and welcome to Wicca Now. As you may already know, Wicca Now is a site where Amaria and I write about all things Witchcraft, Wicca and Magick. Lately, we’ve been covering a lot of crystal related topics, like this post on crystal witchcraft, this guide to crystal correspondences or this article on Tiger’s eye. Today I thought we’d focus on another beautiful crystal, namely carnelian.
Did you know we make beautifully illustrated Grimoire pages? Check out our plant magick grimoire below before you keep reading about carnelian! The best thing about these pages is that they come in a handy digital format. No more waiting for annoying shipping delays, yay!
Table of Contents
Carnelian is a red form of chalcedony and ranges in colour from deep red to light almost yellowish red. There are two theories about the stone’s name. One theory claims that it was derived from the Latin carneous meaning “fleshy. The other that it was named after the cornelian cherry.
The crystal was popular throughout the middle ages as it was believed to prevent health problems and protect against the plague. The crystal was also used throughout the ancient world and the earliest artefacts made from carnelian date back to approximately 7000 or 6000 BCE.
The ancient Egyptians and Persians used the stone to fashion amulets and to inlay furniture and coffins. Believing carnelian to provide protection in the afterlife, the dead were often buried with carnelian pendants or amulets.
The Greeks and Romans favoured jewellery made from carnelian and also used the crystal to fashion elaborate inlays for the hilts of swords and daggers.
Carnelian Magickal Benefits and Meaning
Carnelian is a crystal of protection and aids those dealing with aggression. It is also thought to provide psychic protection as well as aiding communication and helping to vocalise your wants and needs.
- Aids those who are grieving
- Provides protection during astral travel
- Stokes creativity
- Helps those seeking wisdom
- Provides a channel for inspiration
- Boosts confidence
- Fosters success
- Associated with fertility
- Can be used to help remove unwanted things from your life
- Useful for reverse spells and those to do with success
- Dispels negativity
- Strengthens the voice
- Confers patience
Carnelian is associated with the element fire.
Carnelians astrological influence comes from Mercury, Saturn, the sun, Venus. Zodiac associations are Aries, Cancer, Capricorn, Leo, Scorpio, Taurus, and Virgo. Carnelian is associated with the god Odin, and the goddess Isis
Magickal Tips for Carnelian
- Wear a carnelian ring to help still envy, jealousy and hatred
- Bolster your courage and become less shy by wearing carnelian jewellery
- Carry a crystal in your pocket during speaking events. If you are feeling shy or nervous, touch the stone in your pocket and allow it to strengthen your voice and confer eloquence.
- Work with the stone for spells to do with counteracting negative thoughts or doubt
- Carry a stone with you to help guard against those who wish to read your thoughts
- Keep a piece of carnelian on your bedside table or underneath your pillow to help guard against nightmares and promote a peaceful nights sleep
- In Hindu tradition, the stone is thought to help speed up the law of karma
- Want to get in touch with your passionate side? Carnelian is thought to help ignite passions and to enhance creativity and sexuality. Work with carnelian in your love spells and carry a stone as a love and passion amulet.
Keen to discover some more crystals and their meanings and benefits?
Check our posts on:
Lovelies, I hope this post has inspired you to give carnelian a try. As always, Blessed Be!
Don’t forget to follow us on instagram for witchy tips and inspo!