Hi, my loves and welcome to WiccaNow. Recently I’ve been sharing some of my favourite spells and rituals, like this abundance spell, a home protection spell, a sleep aid spell and an anti-anxiety spell. Today I’d like to continue down this road and share a simple but effective spell based on popular folk magic. Today I want to share a honey jar spell for love.
Jar spells have been used in Hoodoo and Folk Magic for hundreds of years. It used to be very common to make a protective witches bottle around Samhain in order to keep malevolent and negative energies away from your home and family. Honey jar spells have been used for just as long, but for a different effect. Honey jar spells act by sweetening someone towards you and promoting love, kindness and harmony.
The theory behind honey jar magic is relatively simple. You use a sweetener, a jar and a petition in order to encourage a specific person to be kinder, sweeter and more loving towards you. The wonderful thing about jar magic is that it is very portable, meaning you can take your spell with you wherever you go if you are inclined to do so. Honey jar magic is a lovely example of sympathetic and gentle magic.
Did you know that you can use this honey jar spell for multiple things? While the most common use is for love, you can also use a honey jar spell in order to make a boss like you more. It could be used to encourage specific clients to work with you or on a judge to sway them in your favour. You can also use a honey jar spell on yourself, in order to feel more loving and kind towards other people in your life.
In order to adjust this honey jar spell for your own purposes, change the petition you write and the extra ingredients you add to your jar. For a honey jar spell to encourage luck, choose some of these luck drawing herbs. If you are making the jar for yourself, use some of these self love herbs. If you want to sweeten a client to work with you, you might want to use some of these money herbs.
A Few Tips for Your Honey Jar Spell for Love
How you write the petition is important for this spell. Normally I’m all for improvising and doing things however feels best, but in this case, make sure to follow the instructions. Once you have completed the petition, you can embellish it as much as you like. The important parts of writing are to make sure that names cross each other at a 90degree angle. The other important thing to note here is that when you write your intention, make sure that you don’t take the pen from the paper. Cross your t’s and dot your i’s once you’ve completed the intention.
A few people have wondered if you can use the honey in your jar after you’ve completed the spell. This really depends on what you add to the honey. As you are going to be eating a tiny bit of the honey anyway, I suggest you use only edible herbs. You should also use a food-safe ink, and super clean, unbleached paper, unwaxed sandwich paper is particularly good. Basically: yes, you can eat the honey, but be aware of what you are putting into it and don’t eat anything toxic or that you are unsure of.
Honey jar spells are normally an endurance kind of spell. It’s common to work on these spells for weeks, months or even years. Don’t let that scare you off, they don’t take much work to maintain! Check out this post on how long it takes a spell to work if you want to know more on this topic. If you are new to spellcasting, check out our spell 101 and our post on manifesting.
Warning: This spell uses candle magic. Always practice fire safety when working with an open flame. Candles are one of the leading causes of house fires. Keep a fire extinguisher within reach and make sure not to wear billowing clothing. Always light your candles a safe distance away from anything flammable and out of reach of pets and children.
Honey Jar Spell for Love
Honey Jar Spell Ingredients
- A small jar. Use a jar that matches your intent here. For this spell, I like to use a small pink jar, but a pretty, clear jar is also good. Pick a jar that has a wide enough mouth to fit your ingredients into. Other than that you have free reign to use whatever jar you like. I would suggest something that reminds you of the person you are casting the spell for or something that reminds you of love. I prefer to use a jar with a heatproof lid, as you will be burning a candle on the lid of the jar.
- Honey. You can use whatever sweetener you like here. Are you vegan and don’t want to use honey? Use unrefined raw sugar instead. Don’t like the idea of using sugar? Go even more unrefined and use molasses. You could use coconut sugar, maple syrup or stevia. Basically, use anything you like as long as it is a sweetening agent.
- A pen
- Love and love spell herbs. You can add as many or as few as you like here. I like to use cinnamon to boost the spell, along with lavender, rose and cardamom.
- A small pink or red candle. The candle colour would change depending on what the jar you are making is for. Check out the meanings of different candle colours before you start and choose the one that’s appropriate to your spell.
Creating Your Honey Jar Spell for Love
- Gather all your ingredients together
- Take your pen and your paper. Write down the name of the specific person that you are casting this spell for on the paper 3 times.
- Rotate the paper 90degrees.
- Write your name 3x over the top of the other name on the paper. Your name should cross their name (if you are casting this spell for yourself, write your own name both times). Essentially you are creating a grid of names.
- Close your eyes and take 5 calming breaths.
- Open your eyes and focus on the petition with the names on it. Think about what it is that you want from the spell. Do you have a crush and want that person to notice you? Do you have a lover and you want to deepen the connection? Are you in a relationship already and want to sweeten the love that already exists? Focus strongly on this wish.
- When you are ready and have solidified what you want in your mind, take your pen and inscribe your wish in a continuous circle around the names on your petition. Make sure that you don’t lift the pen at any stage while writing the circle. When you reach the start of your wish, connect the last word to the first in order to seal the circle. Don’t worry if it’s messy, I’m bad at writing in cursive too! The important thing is not to lift the pen. If you are having trouble formulating how to write your wish, summarize and write a couple of words over and over again until you have the circle. You could use “happiness and kindness”, “love and attraction” or just “love” over and over.
- Now is the time when you cross your t’s and dot your i’s. Draw pictures around your petition or embellish it in any way that makes you happy. You don’t have to do this at all if you prefer to keep your petition clean and tidy.
- Take your paper and fold it in ½ in the direction that the other persons name is written. Turn it 90degrees and fold it in ½ again in the direction that your name is written.
- At this point, if you want, you can choose to anoint your petition with oils. You may want to add a small drop of rose oil or lavender oil. This isn’t a necessity though so only do it if you want to.
- Fill your chosen jar with your honey/other sweetener, and any other herbal ingredients you might want to add. The jar should be full enough to cover your petition.
- Gently push your folded petition into the jar, making sure that it is completely submerged. Touch a finger to the honey and as you remove your finger say:
“Honey, I ask you to lend me your powers, sweeten (persons name) towards me. Just like this honey is sweet, so shall (persons name) be for me. So Mote it Be.”
- Touch your honey covered finger to your lips and think of the person as you lick the honey from your lips.
- Place the lid onto your jar and close it.
- Take your candle and place it on top of the sealed jar.
- Light the candle. Think about your petition and what you want from the spell again here. Set that intention and focus as strongly as you can.
- Allow the candle to burn down to nothing, making sure that you are practising fire safety and keeping the candle away from anything flammable.
- Once the candle has burned all the way down, take the jar and store it in a safe place. There may be candle wax on the jar but this should be kept there.
- Repeat steps 15-18 as often as you like in order to reinforce the spell.
Watch us make our own Honey Jar Spell for Love
Additional Info for this Honey Jar Spell for Love
You can complete this spell without the candle. I think it is much more powerful with the candle though and prefer to do it this way.
If you have completed the spell and want to strengthen it without using another candle, you can repeat the chant over the jar on a daily basis. You can also say a new chant of your own making, or simply focus your intentions on the glass while holding it in your hands. Some people like to shake the jar to charge it.
I like to charge my jar up once a week by lighting a candle on it and resetting my intentions and focus so that the spell stays strong. This is not necessary though and you could do it once a month or not at all depending on how much spare time you have. I use small candles and often charge my jar while I’m cooking something since it normally takes me an hour or 2 to cook meaning I can keep a close eye on my lit candle while it burns down.
If you want to add other names to your honey jar, you can do this. Just try not to disturb the wax from your candle that has covered the top of your jar. You also need to make sure that you have enough honey in the jar to cover another petition. To add another name, repeat the honey jar spell and petition writing process, but instead of creating a new jar, open your old jar and add the new petition to it.
So my sweet loves, I hope this brings you what you want!
Until next time,